NAMC-ODSP-W: small cell & wireless processing for LTE, LTE-A, 5G and MIMO as single mid-size AMC module
Complete RF to L3 BTS functionality based on Octasic 2224W DSPs, Analog Devices AD9361 RF and NXP QorIQ LS1043A quad-core ARM processors
The NAMC-ODSP-W is aimed at LTE, LTE Advanced and 5G systems that require MIMO technologies and enables complete RF to Layer 3 wireless basestation functionality to be implemented on a compact, single-wide AdvancedMC module.
Combining four RF channels with DSP, FPGA and ARM based processing, this module includes a comprehensive range of software including a Linux operating system, L2/L3 stack, virtualized core network software and software defined radio PHY firmware.
A GPS antenna input on the front panel connects to GPS receiver circuitry for GPS clock synchronization. The front panel also features a control connector for an external power amplifier.
A variant of the NAMC-ODSP-W offers a dual SFP connector to the front panel to enable a CPRI link to external RF, allowing the module to be used in conjunction with third party remote radio head (RRH) solutions.
The standard variant of the NAMC-ODSP-W, with dual AD9361 RF-SoC devices, two channels of any cellular standard can run independently of each other. In the NAMC-ODSP-W variant with dual SFP connectors, each DSP will function independently, therefore the NAMC-ODSP-W can run up to two separate cellular channels of any cellular standard and use CPRI links to communicate with remote radio modules such as the N.A.T. NAMC-SDR.
The NAMC-ODSP-W can run a variety of cellular software provided by Octasic and its trusted software partners. Octasic has developed physical layer (PHY) or Layer 1 software on the Octasic OCT2224 DSP for multiple cellular standards including GSM/GPRS/EDGE, CDMA2000, UMTS/HSPA, LTE-FDD/TDD and radio utility system (RUS). RUS is specialized software that provides network listen and RF player/recorder functionality on all cellular standards. RUS also includes a base station automatic synchronization system (BASS) module, which can be used to synchronize the internal clock of the NAMC-ODSP-W to commercial base stations in areas that GPS and external clock sources are not available.
Trusted partners of Octasic and N.A.T. offer higher layer protocol stack (Layer 2/3) and core network software for GSM/GPRS/EDGE, CDMA2000, UMTS/HSPA and LTE-FDD/TDD. All protocol stacks and core network software can run on the NXP ARM processor on the NAMC-ODSP-W or on external x86 or ARM CPUs. All software layers (L1/2/3 and core) are fully integrated and can be delivered as a turn-key solution. The integrated solution can be used in various scenarios such as private networks, wireless surveillance and research and development.
- Four OCT2224W DSPs
- Xilinx Kintex-7 XC7K160T FPGA
- Two quad-core ARM NXP LS1043A CPUs
- Broadcom BCM5396
- On-board GPS receiver circuitry
- Control connector to external power amplifier
- Supports up to:
- 64 3G users
- 130/50 Mbps LTE throughput
- 20 Km range for all cellular standards
- LTE Advanced
- 5G Network Testing
- MIMO and Massive MIMO
The NAMC-ODSP-W from N.A.T. combines a powerful FPGA with an array of DSPs, two quad-core ARM processors, four RF interfaces and advanced wireless software in a single-width, mid-size AMC module package.
- Two Analog Devices AD9361 RF-SoCs offer four Rx and Tx antennas operating between 70Mhz and 6Ghz with up to 56Mhz analog bandwidth.The RF interface is implemented on a mezzanine module, so it can be easily adapted to new technologies or different RF front ends.
Alternative RF Interface
- Dual SFP connector on front panel for CPRI links to external RF.
- Backplane ports #2/3 usable for CPRI link to remote radio head (RRH)
- Backplane ports #4-7 used for RF data exchange via 10G Ethernet
- Xilinx Kintex-7 XC7K160T (160k LE, 12Mbit internal SRAM, 8SerDes, 400 I/0)
Provides pre-DSP data manipulation while also giving you headroom for further extension and customization. This
includes efficient linearization, i.e. using a single digital pre-distortion (DPD) per user insead of each power amplifier, and other data pre-processing capabilities.
PHY Processing Array
- Four Octasic OCT2224W DSPs, each with twenty-four DSP cores, provide the specialized power needed for PHY processing.
- Each DSP connects to two 16-bit wide DDR3 memory slots. Using 2Gb devices this results in 512MB DRAM per DSP.
- Each DSP has two serial GbE connections to on-board Ethernet switch.
- 3W typical power consumption.
L2/L3 and Core Processing
- Two NXP QorIQ® LS1043A processors for L2/L3 and core processing.
- Quad-core 64-bit ARM-based processors
- Each supported by 4GB DDR4 memory
- Data path acceleration
- 5W typical power consumption
- A Broadcom BCM5396 device establishes a full-non-blocking interconnect between the DSPs, CPUs, FPGA and backplane and provides an individual data and control path access to these devices.
- The NAMC-ODSP-W features a GPS antenna input connected to GPS receiver circuitry as well as an additional external reference clock input on the front panel, a TCLKA-D interface (receive or transmit) at the backplane connector , and an on-board Stratum-3 high precision oscillator.
- Full AMC TCLKA-D connectivity
- XAUI 10GbE (or custom SerDes protocol) connectivity to Fat-Pipe-Region ports #4-7
- Dual 1GbE connectivity to ports #0 and #1
- CPRI or custom SerDes protocol to ports #2 and #3
- Bi-colour status LEDs, one for each DSP, one for each CPU, two for application status
- PLL lock status LED
- 4x SMP Rx, 4x SMP Tx RF connectors
- GPS antenna RF connector (SMP)
- Control connector to external power amplifier
- Temperature (operating):
- 0ºC to +60ºC with forced air cooling
- Temperature (storage):
- -40ºC to +85ºC
- Relative Humidity:
- 10% to 90% at +55ºC (non-condensing)
- 45W typical (TBD)
- AMC.0 R2.0, AMC.2, IMPI V1.5 & V2.0, HPM.1
- CE, RoHS
- EN61000, EN5022, EN55024
DSPs: Octasic FlexiPHY Firmware
- Four Software Defined Radio (SDR) PHY products
- GSM, GPRS, EDGE PHY
- CDMA 2000
- Up to 64 3G users
- Up to 130 / 50 Mbps LTE throughput
- Up to 20 Km range for all cellular standards
- Radio Utility System (RUS)
- Linux operating system
- Radisys L2/L3 stack software
- Existing adaptation of Quortus core network software
The NAMC-ODSP-Wcan be deployed in a variety of vRAN and C-RAN operating environments, including N.A.T.’s own range of MicroTCA systems. This enables developers to start with minimal capital expenditure, while providing a fully deployable platform.
N.A.T. can adapt the NAMC-ODSP-W to suit your application-specific needs with for example, fewer DSPs or a larger FPGA. Please contact us to discuss your requirements.
Date Last Modified
|namc_odsp_w_ds||Data Sheet||723 KB||v1.4||14-02-2017|
The Hardware Manual on the NAMC-ODSP-W is provided under Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) only.
Please contact us using the contact form.
|single mid-size AMC module, 4x OCT2224W with 512MB DRAM each,
Xilinx XC7K-160T, 2x NXP QorIQ LS1043A (quad-core ARM) with 4GB
DDR4 DRAM, Broadcom BCM5396 10GbE switch
|-I||0||dual SFP connector for CPRI support||-|
|-I||1||RF mezzanine with 2x ADi AD9361 and 4x Rx and Tx antenna connectors||-|
For the firmware options of the NAMC-ODSP-W please contact us using the contact form.